Street Railway Review, Vol. 4, 1894
During the early days of the Glenn House, an electric streetcar carried passengers along Edgewood Avenue from Inman Park to downtown Atlanta.
Inman Park developer Joel Hurt created the Atlanta & Edgewood Street Railway Company in 1886, and in 1889 initiated the first electric streetcar line. The streetcar ran from Joel Hurt’s downtown skyscraper, the Hurt Building (which still stands today), along Edgewood Avenue to Inman Park. The line passed directly in front of the Glenn House. The Trolley Barn, a shingle-style building located two blocks from the Glenn House on Edgewood Ave, opened in 1889 as a service and housing facility for the streetcars. By the mid-twentieth century, the Trolley Barn fell into disrepair. The City of Atlanta purchased the Trolley Barn in 1976, and with help from local residents began a restoration program completed in 1987.
The Trolley Barn, 2018
In 2015, the Inman Park non-profit Atlanta & Edgewood Street Railway Company (name borrowed from the original 19th century company), purchased the Trolley Barn. It now operates as a special events venue and is one of the few remaining structures from the era when trolleys were a significant form of transportation in Atlanta. #throwbackthursday